Thursday, April 15, 2010

Regression on the iPhone

Ever been at a presentation and seen some data thrown up on the screen and wanted to analyze it yourself right there on the spot?  If you're as geeky as I am, and you own an iPhone, there's now an app for you.  I've been waiting for some decent statistics apps for a while, and it looks like a few have recently shown up on the market.

I downloaded one called Regression Calculator for $.99.  Unlike with spreadsheet apps, data entry is very easy.  You just enter the x variable, with all the numbers separated by a comma, and then enter the y variable.  It'll then give you a plot, R-squared, and even make a predicted y based on an inputted x.  You can do linear, logarithmic, exponential, or power regression.  The plot at left shows growth in real disposable income predicting the incumbent party's share of the presidential vote since 1948.  I inputted the data in about 3 minutes.

The program is very simple and could probably use a few features (adjusting the axis scale, saving data, etc.).  But for what it is, it works quite well.  I'm sure this will come in handy at MPSA next week.

3 comments:

Sherry Zaks said...

I am disgusted at how happy this made me. Nice find.

Seth Masket said...

Makes for a prettier cake than Stata, too.

Jeff Lazarus said...

I must be a huge nerd because this is awesome. I'm buying this as soon as I get home.