Wednesday, October 7, 2009

ASUC

I was a very active participant in the party system in the UC Berkeley student government (the Associated Students of the University of California) back when I was an undergrad. They have great parties there, some of which live on for decades. I was a senator, a presidential aide, a party activist, and, for a short time, the ASUC beat reporter for the Daily Californian. And now I study local parties for a living!

So naturally I was thrilled to be interviewed for a Daily Cal story on the history of parties in the ASUC. And I was thrilled to see my name on the front page of the Daily Cal. I feel like I'm 21 again.

Meanwhile, I would love to see a serious comparative study of campus politics. I am curious why some schools seem to have venerable party systems while others just seem to form ephemeral slates around some popular students that dissipate as soon as those students graduate.

No comments: