Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Apologies for the light posting

Cell reception was really bad during most of the day, and by the time it had cleared up, my iPhone was nearly out of power. So I wasn't able to post as much as I'd hoped.

Needless to say, it was a very moving inaugural experience. I have some photos on my digital camera that I'll upload when I get home. But the speech was really impressive. I particularly loved this line:
To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.
Awesome metaphor. I wish I could write like that. Also, I was impressed by his shout out to nonbelievers, especially since George H.W. Bush, who once described atheists as neither patriots nor citizens, was up there on the dais.

My friend Marc ended up being shut out of the inauguration along with several thousand other people in the purple ticketed section. He had an amazing experience anyway. I'm hoping he'll write down that experience, and I'll link to it when he does.