Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Edwardses

Needless to say, my thoughts are with John and Elizabeth Edwards. Their announcement this morning that her cancer has returned - and shown up in a bone - is sad and sobering news. The fact that they've both decided to continue the campaign is inspiring.

Nonetheless, I can't help thinking that the campaign is sunk at this point. John Edwards himself said that no matter what was going on in the campaign, if she needed him, he would be there for her. I hate to say it, but if she's undergoing treatment for bone cancer, she's going to need him. A lot. Bone cancer, as I understand it, is brutally painful, and treatment will likely be a lot more disruptive than it was for her breast cancer in 2004.

I'm sure John Edwards recognizes this, and I'm quite sure that those who have endorsed him (some big unions, for example) and those who have given him money recognize this, as well. It will be harder for him to rake in money and support than it was before. That's not fair, but for Democratic backers, winning the next presidential election is more important than doing the right thing for the Edwardses. It has to be.

I hope I'm wrong about this. I still think he's a great candidate and would make a great president, and I still consider myself a supporter. But I fear that family concerns will take precedence over politics, as well they should.

No comments: